Saturday, September 20, 2008

Shinto vs. Buddha

One thing that surprised me throughout Japan is how strongly it`s culture, architecture and religious activities are influenced by Buddhism. I always thought of Japan as a Shinto nation with a Buddhist minority. Actually, most Japanese practice both religions. Shinto ceremonies are usually designated for earthly events, i.e. births, marriages, and so on, and Buddhism dominates the ponderings of the afterlife. Given the nature of most religions, this lends to a dominant presence of Buddhist structures and practices. Incidentally, I was beginning to think that I hadn`t actually been to any Shinto shrines at all, until I asked someone and they told me that the best way to recognize a Shinto shrine is a) Buddha`s absence (wa wa wa wohuwoh) and b) the Torii`s that are used as entrances.

Ok, think back to the movie, you know when the Geisha in waiting, the one being pursued by the questionably older man (I think in Geisha-speak they are called sponsors or something) through those orange arches? Those are Torii. Amazing structures, ranging in size and grandeur. And for all I know, they might even be native to Japan. Here are some pics from my two favorites, one on Miyjima island and many in Iranu (from the movie). Enjoy.


No comments: