

Pictures of the supposed "bustling town at the base"


Shinto pilgrims of old began the hike up Mt. Fuji at this shrine, dedicated to the gods of the mountain. With pepperspray in one hand, and my pocket knife in the other, I began the 11 hour hike to the top, as the one and only soul on the trail. Zen, what, what!




Stations along the way provided pilgrims with water, rest, and sanctuary. Apparently, these are no longer needed for the modern hiker.

Two hours after dark I found a mountain hut run by an old married couple. For 7500 Yen, she gave me a bowl of Udon noodle and a mat to sleep on till 3am, the latest departure time to make it to the top by sunrise. Hiking up a mountain in the dark, alone was not quite the romance I had in mind.





After the 7th station (8 hours of calf cracking climbing) all the trails met up together. the sun started rising, and Buddha's halo was in full bloom.





Peering into the once volcanic Mt. Fuji





Climbing down was the lowlight of this trip to boot.


1 comment:
Just amazing!!!!
Post a Comment