Monday, December 22, 2008

The descent via Poon Hill

and If you look back to the map from my last posting you can see the way I descended, via TadapaniGhorepani so that I could wake up 4:30 in the morning and make it up to Poon Hill before sunrise. Poon Hill, named after a Napali Ghorka soldier, is claimed to be the mountain vista with the most visible peaks in the world, provided there are no clouds, which there were :(The way down afforded countless views of my point of highest ascent. On the way to Poon Hill however, it was finally engulfed in the foothills surrounding it. This picture is an ode to my most favorite peak, Mt. Fishtail, right before our final parting. You'd be surprised how attached you become to visual landmarks after countless hours of climbing in their direction, only to see them become infinitesimally larger (or smaller) in view at the end of the day.

This is a porter carrying someone's stuff for them. They usually set out early in the morning to reach that day's destination early enough to prepare the bed and food for the people who hired them.

Although the view toward the mountains was completely clouded over, the sunrise over Poon Hill was a perfect way for me to say goodbye to the Anapurna Mountain Range. The week I spent in its hills and valleys was a much needed break away from the urban havoc that was awaiting me back in India. Meanwhile, current events decided to wait on my absence before changing the world I had left. When I arrived in Pokhara that afternoon, Obama was President-elect, Thailand was shut down, the financial crisis became a full-on, global recession and India was threatening troop mobilization against Pakistan. Suddenly my blisters and aches were once again put into perspective.

No comments: